Thursday 25 August 2016

Door cards


This is another job that I was trying to get done so that I could take them, along with the dashboard, to AK to be trimmed.

I am a little apprehensive about this job, because it seems to all be a little bit of guess work to make sure the door cards are the right size once trimmed and all the door seals on, as I have no idea what the final thickness will be!

However, all I can do is go with what seems to be right, and if it needs fixing later I will deal with it then.







I decided that I would make some templates out of cardboard, so I offered up a piece (I found out that it needs to be at least 70cm long as the first one I cut was not!).....














....and drew around the door edge on the rear of the cardboard with a red maker pen.












This left me with a nice line to cut along to get the initial template.











I did this both sides and cut out the templates. I was not too worried about them being slightly larger than needed. In fact, this was the preferred option as it was hard to get a clean line with the cardboard, but I knew that I got trim the plywood down to suit once that was the rough size needed.






I then transferred the shape to the plywood......





 ....and cut the plywood out with a jigsaw. Remember to label them up with  side they belong to!






 I then stuck the plywood cutouts back to the door and drew around the back again with the red pen. I stuck the top of the plywood to the door with some gaffer tape to stop it from moving.




This then left me with a line to work to to get a better fit with the plywood. I used the jigsaw again to get closer to the red line, and then filed it down by hand from that point.





This left me with a nice looking pair of door cards that have a nice smooth edge to them.









No comments:

Post a Comment