Thursday 11 August 2016

Fuel fillers

Another task that I could tackle without having the body fully bolted down was to mount the fuel fillers.




I started by using a trick that I had seen on the Cobra Club forum, of using a straight edge to draw lines across the recess to find the centre














The lines do not match exactly, but I was expecting that because the recess is not perfectly circular









However, when I then put the fuel filler flange directly over the centre, it did not look right, so I decided this was another job like finding the centreline, and did it by eye!












I centred the filler flange and drew around the base. I then drilled a hole directly through the centre.












Using a 72mm hole saw, I then cut the hole out (I was a bit nervous about this!)
















But, I was very happy with the result!












I then repeated for the other side (not sure why I decided on the expensive option of having two fuel fillers!).

Even if I say so myself, it looks pretty good.









The next job here is to drill the holes in the filler flange neck and drill the holes in the body to suit. I have purchased some nice stainless steel, raised head, countersunk, slotted screws for this!

No comments:

Post a Comment