Thursday 25 August 2016

Steering column - Upper section

I needed to fit the steering column in order to ascertain what size hole I needed to cut out for the dashboard. I wanted to do this before I cut the holes for the gauges in the dashboard to make sure that I got the gauges in a sensible place and they would not be obscured by the steering wheel.



The first task was to cut back the metal shroud that sits on the upper side of the column. I mounted the column roughly in place (you can't get it in properly because the part you need to remove is in the way!)
I marked a line where it hit the scuttle hoop and then took the angle grinder to it......





Before......






This is what it looked like after surgery.....




I had to tweak the brackets slightly as the column did not appear to be sitting quite straight, but only a very tiny amount.










And that's it.....column mounted for now.

I have bought two lengths of 8mm threaded bar so that I can use the trick of being able to easily move the column up and down once the dash is in place without having to hold it. I only needed 2 x 20cm lengths as this was enough to drop the column out of the way of the dash.

No comments:

Post a Comment