Thursday 11 August 2016

Dashboard......finding the centreline

To continue the story of fitting the dashboard, this is the view after fitting it for the first time


My basic rule of thumb was to try and get the edges as equally close to the edge of the shell as possible, whilst maintaining equal spacing on the centre tunnel.

The next task was to try and find the centreline of the car, so I could transfer this to the dashboard. This in turn would allow me to measure out properly for the gauges.

I had read various posts on the Cobra Club forum about the cars not being symmetrical, and that the best option was to ignore what "proper" measurements tell you and make sure it looks right to the eye.









My method was to run a line (I used an old roll of electrical wire that I had left over from my last build) through the centre of the nose vents.........












......and then measured between the two roll hoop inner legs and made a mark........















.......then laid down the line to go between the two. I then marked where the line went through to top of the front cockpit lip and transferred that down to the dashboard









True to the advice on the forum, when you actually measure where the centreline sits on the dash, it is not central, but it looks right......so that is good enough for me!

The next job is to remove the dashboard, mount the steering column and then figure out what to cut out of the dashboard for the steering column. After that, it will be time to measure and cut holes for the gauges.

No comments:

Post a Comment