Thursday 16 January 2014

Front Suspension and Brakes

I have almost finished on the front suspension and brakes, so thought I would post a little update.

The whole lot went together very nicely. The Gen II chassis uses newly fabricated top and bottom wishbones, but the bottom wishbones are modified from the XJ40.




These are fitted using the original wishbone bolts, and washers are used to space the bottom wishbone to the front or rear in order to get the caster set up correctly. The build manual I have states 2 different settings (one is about 5.5 to 6 degrees and the other about 6 to 8 degrees), so I picked the middle figure and they are both currently set up at 6 degrees. I did find that each washer changed the measurement by about 1 degree, so this was as good as I could get it for now.

Once the caster was set up, then on with the Shocks, hubs, discs, caliper carriers, pads and calipers.



The donor XJ40 I had purchased had the Girling brake calipers. I was speaking to Antony at Berkshire Jag Components (where I got the replacement bearings, UJs etc) and he said that the ATE calipers that superseded the Girling ones were much better - apparently the Girling calipers had a tendancy to bind.

Anyway, he did me a very good deal on the ATE calipers with the appropriate calipers, so I opted for these.



All I need now are the brake flexies and steering rack and we are there.



The next job is to mock up the route for the brake pipes to ensure I have enough clips to satisfy the IVA man as I am still waiting for my diff to be refurbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment