Thursday 16 January 2014

I bought an engine!

My plan at the beginning was to get a SBC 383 Stroker, through someone like British American Engines/Customer Power & Paint or Roadcraft, however, I saw an advert on the Cobra Club forum for a SBC 350 that had just been rebuilt, but was no longer needed.

My dad and I took a drive to go look at it, and here it is:


It looks like an absolute beauty, and we got it for a good price so managed to save some money over a rebuilt one from any of the suppliers above. I was advised that it has been built for about 350bhp, which seems like a pretty decent starting point to me!

Initial investigation puts the block at 1974, and originally from a Camaro. I will need to get a proper age certificate for IVA, but if this turns out to be correct then we are on to a winner. If I am reading the flow diagram in the IVA manual correctly, pre-1975 engines are subject to emissions test of visual smoke only during the IVA!

I have purchased a TKO600 box to go behind this, and can't wait to get it all together!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark. Good to see you cracking on with the cobra. Still considering selling the Rocket to start my build but will need to wait until summer now as I'm starting a new Job and hopefully the nicer weather will get me more cash for the Rocket. That is a great find with the engine should add a bit of originality and history to the car.

    Ned

    ReplyDelete